Iceland Writers Retreat is offering talented writers from around the world the chance to attend its April 2018 program for free.
For this scholarship program, writers can apply for either full or partial funding. The full funding scholarship includes a round-trip airfare plus the full retreat package including accommodation, tours, most meals and all workshops for the duration of the event. Partial funding covers the participant costs only and does not include accommodation or flights.
The successful candidates must demonstrate that he or she does not have the financial means to attend the conference without this award. Candidates do not need to be professional writers, but should be serious about the craft and interested in developing their skills and contacts.
In order to apply writers need to provide:
- a short statement about themselves including their background, goals and professional experience
- a short statement about why they wish to attend the Iceland Writers Retreat
- an explanation of their financial status
- information about whether they have applied to other funding sources to contribute to the costs of the trip
- details about how, if successful, they would share their experience with other writers
- two writing examples (which may be published or unpublished)
- two written references
In 2017 there were four scholarship winners including Peter Ngila, who learned about this opportunity through Aerogramme Writers’ Studio. Read about Peter’s Icelandic experience here.
Applications close on Tuesday 31 October and all supporting materials, including written references, must be supplied by this date. There is no entry fee. For further information and to enter visit the Iceland Writers Retreat website.
About the Iceland Writers Retreat
Held for the first time in April 2014, the Iceland Writers Retreat is an event composed of a series of small-group writing workshops and cultural tours designed to introduce participants to Iceland’s rich literary heritage. In 2018 the teaching staff include Hilton Als, Hallgrímur Helgason, Priya Basil, Susan Shreve, Terry Fallis, and Gwendoline Riley.. The Iceland Writers Retreat was named one of the world’s best writers’ retreats by the Sydney Morning Herald, and one of the top 10 events to travel for in 2014 by Four Seasons Magazine.